MavSoho is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read More
Leaks on the shower head are the last thing that you can expect after buying an oversized rainfall shower head. Sadly. It may happen at any time, and your exotic showering session can be hindered.
A leaky shower head can ruin not only your shower session but also your shower head. It is always good to take the right measurements before it is too late.
Instead of calling a pro, you can also try some of the DIY methods of solving this leaking case. If you wish to do it by yourself, it is essential for you to know everything from the root.
When you know the cause behind the occurrence of the leak, you do not have to call a plumber to get the work done.
Let us explore the reasons behind the causes and know how to fix the leaking shower head instantly. This blog will help you discover easy yet effective ways to solve the issue. Let’s begin!
- Adjustable Shower Heads Review
- Handheld Shower Heads For Low Water Pressure Review
- Shower Panel System Review
- High Pressure Shower Review
- 1 How To Fix Leaking Shower Head 2021 — [Smart Yet Simple DIY Ways]
- 2 Methods To Getting Rid of Annoying Shower Head Leaks
- 3 Methods Of Replacing a Damaged Washer
- 4 Few Words Before Wrapping Up…
How To Fix Leaking Shower Head 2021 — [Smart Yet Simple DIY Ways]
Leaking Sources of the Shower head — There can be numerous causes behind a leaking shower head. You need to find out the source to implement the fixing methods.
Why The Leaks Take Place?
The shower heads are fixed on the standard shower arm. Most of the leaks occur from the shower arm. It is basically small equipment that is slightly bent so that the shower head can be fixed easily.
The shower arm has threads on both sides. The one end of the thread is fixed inside the wall, and the other one is attached with the shower head.
The shower arm threads can get torn from inside, and a leak can happen inside the wall. It can be problematic to fix the leak inside the wall by yourself. However, if the second thread that is fixed with the shower arm gets a leak, you can try your methods.
- Massage Shower Heads
- Shower Heads For Small Shower
- Shower Heads With Hose
- Low Water Consumption Shower Heads
Where Can The Source of Leak Be?
Sometimes too much pressure is applied while fixing or unscrewing the shower head from the shower arm. At that time, the vertical pipe inside the shower arm can break inside the wall.
While replacing your old shower with a new one, this problem can occur. You may not have any idea that the shower arm is damaged from inside.
If the thread that is connected with the shower arm is damaged and causes a leak, then it is not a very serious issue. However, if the pressure on the shower arm that excessive, then a leak can occur inside the wall, which is way more dangerous.
The Leak From The Base
If any crack on the shower arm has occurred, then the shower head will start leaking from the base. If you have bought a plastic material shower head covered with chrome finish, then no one can stop leakage from taking place.
If the crack is not visible yet, you can see water leaking from the shower head, and you can undertake some of the measures to get the problem fixed.
- Try to open the screw of the shower head. It can be difficult as the shower head will start running. You have to hole the shower arm with pliers to avoid any mess while checking for the fault. Do not forget to wrap the pliers with a soft cloth to prevent any scratching marks on your shower head.
- Clean the threads of the shower head thoroughly. Clear all the lime and mineral deposits that remain and get cluttered there. Also, remove the old tape pipe and replace it with a new one.
- Reinstall the shower head after wrapping the thread carefully. Tighten it correctly and make sure not a single nut remains loose.
- Go for testing and make sure there are no leaks. If you see that the shower head is still leaking, try to tighten it more. If it does not solve the issue, you may have to replace the shower arm.
The Leak From Inside The Wall
The threaded connection that a shower head has from the shower arm and the drop-ear elbow can also cause a leak. You can follow the same above, given steps to fix the issues.
In this case, you should make the fixing loose as too much tightening of the shower arm can cause more damage to your shower head.
Now, these issues can be fixed by following 3 to 4 simple steps. But, if the shower arm is perfectly alright and still the shower head is leaking, you have to take some different measures.
Also Read: Shower Heads For Hard Water
Also Read: Rain Shower Heads
Methods To Getting Rid of Annoying Shower Head Leaks
The first thing that you have to keep in mind is the type of shower head you use. There are tons of shower heads available in the market, and each has different features and characteristics. You have to know your type and follow the fixing method accordingly.
What Materials Do We Need?
If you want to follow the DIY method and know-how to fix the leaking shower head, some of the things you must keep handy. Here are those:
- Plastic washer
- Large bowl
- Old toothbrush
- Distilled white vinegar
- Teflon tape
- Rubber ring
- Crescent wrench
Keep a toolbox full of these above types of equipment handy. Do not run to find out a needed tool while you fix the leak.
Way To Stop The Leak
These DIY methods are not very difficult. But, at the same time, you have to be very cautious before implementing each and every step.
- Stop the water supply first. You have to make sure that the water supply is restricted when you start fixing the leak.
- Bring a large towel to cover the drain and the bottom of the shower head. As you do not know how deep the leak is, there is a possibility of water flooding. If any of the equipment gets flown away in the drain, then you will not be able to fix the nuts tight. So, be very cautious right from the beginning.
- Try to unscrew the shower head from the joint. You can do it with your hands with a little bit of effort. However, if you think that it is incredibly tight, use a crescent wrench and pliers to get it removed from the wall.
- You need to check the washers at first. If you think that the washers are damaged and rotten, you need to replace those immediately. These washers can be the source of the leak.
- It would be best if you had new washers and also do not forget to cover the washers with new Teflon tape. Make sure to seal the gaps so that no source of the leakage remains.
- Clean the product while taking it out from the wall. You can keep it soaked in a bowl of vinegar and then wash out all the lime and mineral deposits. Sometimes, these deposits can cause extreme damage to the shower head.
- Rinse the shower thoroughly and make sure to clean between the nozzles by using a scrubber or an old toothbrush. Further, get it dried with a clean and dry towel.
- Try to reattach the shower head perfectly and get all the nuts tight. If it is too difficult to do it by hand, use the wrench and pliers again.
- Turn on the shower to see whether the leak is fixed.
These are simple steps that you ought to follow to get the problem fixed with DIY methods. Read on to know how a faucet leak can be corrected, or a washer can be replaced. In-depth knowledge is indeed needed if you wish to save that extra bucks by not calling a plumber.
Also Read: Handheld Shower Heads
Methods Of Replacing a Damaged Washer
It is already said that a damaged washer is one of the potential causes of the leak. When you use the washers for ‘O ring’ for a prolonged period, it starts cracking from inside.
Eventually, water seeps inside the walls through these cracks. As a result, the shower head starts leaking and causes a lot of damages.
In this case, you have to replace the washer to get the problem solved. See a detailed explanation so that you can implement the DIY methods flawlessly.
Turn Off The Whole Water Supply
Turning off the water supply is necessary before starting the work. Otherwise, sudden water pressure can make your bathroom flooded.
When your shower head has two faucets- one for cold water and one for hot water, you have to check precisely which rubber washer is worn out. You can manage to maintain the rubber washers if you apply lubricant on it frequently.
Find Out Which Washer Has The Leak
The rubber washer from your water faucets can leak from inside. But, it is very essential to understand which water faucet is actually leaking.
If you open a perfectly fitted faucet that is not damaged, it will just add the extra burden of work. Thus, it is good to be a bit more cautious and find out which one is damaged.
If you a compressed faucet with two handles, then it is likely that both the washers are damaged, and you will have to replace them both. But a single faucet can get cracked from inside the walls.
In that case, you will have to open the whole shower arm to get access to the washer, and then only you can replace it.
Replace The Washer
If you need to open the shower arm and replace it, the process can be a bit tricky. You have to take the shower head apart first by opening the collar nut (the main nut that attaches the shower head with the shower arm).
This collar nut has a neck that is 1.5 times its diameter. What you should do:
- You have to loosen the collar nut very carefully. It is the main nut for your shower head to remain attached to the shower arm.
- Once you open it, you will find the rubber washer beneath the swivel ball of the shower head. Take it out to replace it with a new one.
- Put the new rubber washer on the collar nut and tighter it again. Bring a rubber washer that ultimately looks like the old one. Also, maintain the material and the quality to ensure that the previous water flow remains and you feel a similar exotic showering experience.
Ways To Replace Rubber Washer From The Faucet
The methods are not very different from the previous one. You have to open the faucet that is leaking by unscrewing it. The screw can be different depending on the type of shower head.
You may need a wrench and pliers to open it. Make sure to check the temperature of the water and determine which faucet to open.
Moreover, if your faucet is of the older model, the screw will be exposed outside which you can open with a screwdriver. In the case of a new model, a small pocket knife will do to lift the cover-up and get the screws exposed.
After removing the screw, you have to pull the handle with force to take it out from the body of the faucet. You can use a faucet puller in case you find it hard while doing it by hand.
Remove the sleeve and trim that cover the stem of the faucet. A deep socket is needed to unscrew the faucet stem. The stem is held by a hex nut that needs a shower valve socket wrench for unscrewing.
Once the whole work is done, you can easily remove the rubber washer. Replace it with a new rubber washer and again follow the same method to reassemble the faucet.
Replacing A Damaged Diverter Valve
The work of a diverter is to allow the water flow to switch from the faucet to the shower head. If a diverter valve starts malfunctioning, it will affect the unhindered water pressure, thereby impacting the whole shower session.
At that time, you will again start Googling ‘how to fix leaking shower head’, so here it is.
- Start by shutting the water supply of the shower head. Use the stopper to get it done.
- You have to unscrew the faucet handle again to get access to the diverter valve.
- Take the diverter valve out to see the condition. If you see that cleaning the hard water deposits will solve the issue, you can go for it. Else, replacing is the safest option you could opt for.
- Separate the valve assembly from the hex nut to remove the diverter. Clean the diverter by using a dip of vinegar. However, cracks will be visible if the diverter is damaged from inside. In that case, replace the diverter with a new one.
- Reassemble the faucet again to enjoy uninterrupted water flow from your shower head all over again.
Few Words Before Wrapping Up…
Now you know every DIY process of fixing a leakage. If you have got every answer to your query ‘how to fix leaking shower head’ do not hesitate to implement these simple methods of fixing the leakage issue.
However, do not forget to keep the toolbox and all the other needed materials handy to get the job done flawlessly. Another essential thing to consider is that you should know how to use those tools.
If you are an amateur about this, try learning it first or else handover the responsibility to someone else. Do not forget to share your experience when you are done fixing a leaking shower head. If you’re looking for a luxurious shower head then read our guide.
I am a full-time professional architect who is passionate about all kinds of stuff design and construction. Now I share my advice and experience in the architecture and home improvement industries. In MAV SoHo I recommend the best shower heads to help you achieve your goals and simply get the job done at an affordable cost.